Ophthalmologist in New York City & Great Neck, NY
Kenneth J. Rosenthal, M.D., F.A.C.S., Surgeon Director, has been in private practice in New York City and Great Neck, Long Island, NY since 1980 and is the Surgeon Director of Rosenthal Eye and Facial Plastic Surgery. He is also the Medical Director of Eye Diagnosis of Greater New York, the largest and most comprehensive free-standing diagnostic center in the tri-state area.
Practice Philosophy and Skills – What Makes Us Absolutely Unique in Our Field
This is a “high tech, high touch” practice: Dr. Rosenthal’s approach to patient care is unique in that it blends a personalized, warm, and caring patient relationship with the most state-of-the-art technology. This approach balances an unmatched level of skill with individualized attention to detail. Dr. Rosenthal has participated in numerous clinical trials of new surgical and diagnostic devices and new medications, and is able to offer an unparalleled level of expertise in treatment of even the most challenging of surgical cases.
Dr. Rosenthal specializes in:
- Consultative cataract surgery with intraocular lens implantation
- Vision correction surgery, including LASIK
- Cosmetic facial plastic surgery
He focuses particularly on the management of complex anterior segment surgery – surgery on the front parts of the eye, such as the cornea and lens. Dr. Rosenthal is frequently able to offer solutions to serious eye problems that cannot be treated elsewhere by conventional means. As a result, the majority of his surgical cases are referred by other eye care professionals
Services and Treatments – Our practice provides a full range of eye care services:
- Laser vision correction – LASIK and other procedures
- Treatment of eye diseases – including cataracts, glaucoma, iris disorders and corneal disease
- Treatment of complex ocular conditions – such as dislocated lens implants, corneal decompensation, iris defects, severe injuries to the eye.
- Aesthetic services – eyelid surgery, brow lifts, BOTOX® Cosmetic, and several dermal fillers
Firsts: Pioneering Work Making Eye Surgery Safer with Better Visual Outcomes
Dr. Rosenthal has been a leader in the development of minimally invasive cataract surgery. Preferring to avoid the use of needle injections behind the eyes for anesthesia, he developed and patented a non-invasive technique for placing very effective liquid anesthetics on the surface of the eye. This results in a safe yet pain-free surgical experience. He focuses on micro-incision cataract surgery with Intraocular Lenses (IOLs) that reduce or eliminate the need for glasses after surgery.
He was one of the first eye surgeons in the United States to recognize the value of correcting vision with IOLs for people who are not good LASIK candidates, particularly in patients who are far sighted or are over the age of 45. These patients require correction that allows them to see distance as well as close (as for reading) without the use of spectacles.
Dr. Rosenthal has the longest continuous experience (over 13 years) of any eye surgeon in the Northeastern United States using multifocal lenses (correcting vision at all distances without the use of spectacles, in most cases). He was the first surgeon to use them in New York State and the first to use the current “third generation” IOLs in the Northeast.
Dr. Rosenthal is a graduate of the prestigious accelerated six year biomedical program with Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Albany Medical College of Union University. He served his residency at North Shore University Hospital and was later appointed as Chief Resident in Ophthalmology in that hospital. He is now active on the academic teaching staffs of North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health Systems, New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, and New York University Medical School.
Dr. Rosenthal holds an academic appointment (Associate Professor of Ophthalmology) at the prestigious John A. Moran Eye Center at the University of Utah School of Medicine, one of the leading academic, research, and patient care institutes in the world. He has developed new and innovative eye surgery technologies, and he has invented new instruments and techniques for eye surgery.
Because of his recognized expertise, Dr. Rosenthal has been invited to lecture to medical colleagues all over the world, and he is the author of numerous professional journal articles and book chapters on advanced eye surgery techniques. He is also certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
Professional Leadership Positions
- Past President, New York Intraocular Lens Implant Society
- Past President, New York Keratorefractive Society
- Member, International Intraocular Implant Club (a worldwide organization formed by one of the great pioneers of contemporary eye surgery, Sir Harold Ridley, who invented the intraocular lens — Dr. Rosenthal is one of only three surgeons in the New York metropolitan area, and one of only 200 in the entire world to have been so honored)
- Board of Directors, Windsor National Associates
- President and member of the Board of Directors, American College of Eye Surgeons
- Editorial Board, Review of Ophthalmology
- Editorial Advisory Board, Ocular Surgery News
- Past President, Ophthalmic Anesthesia Society
Other Professional Memberships and Awards
- The International Society of Refractive Surgery
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology – Honor Achievement Award
- The American College of Surgeons
- The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ASCRS)
- Cataract Special Interest Committee
- The European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- American College of Eye Surgeons
- U.S. delegate to the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons.
- Voted one of the “Best Doctors of Long Island”
- Featured in “Strathmore’s Who’s Who”
- Featured in Who’s Who of American Inventors
- New York Magazine’s “Best Doctor in New York”
Dr. Rosenthal also holds U.S. patents for surgical techniques and devices. The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery recently honored Dr. Rosenthal by presenting him with an award for his groundbreaking work in the field of artificial iris implantation.
His avocations include a lifelong pursuit as a classical pianist and flutist, and he regularly performs around the world. He has been a frequent performer at concerts around the world. Most recently Dr. Rosenthal held a benefit concert for the charitable foundation he founded, the Iris and Rose Foundation, in which he performed. He is an avid skier, figure skater, and traveler.